Thursday, March 14, 2013

How to make craft paper vines

For Drew's Safari party, I wanted to make vines to decorate the house and yard.  It was the perfect way to transform our suburban home into a jungle.  These were super easy and cheap to make and had a huge effect!  I went to the dollar store and picked up a few rolls of craft paper and some plastic plants.  Once I got them home, I cut each roll into thirds so that I could get more vines out of each roll.  This was perhaps the hardest part because the rolls are rather long.  





Once I had all my strips ready, with the help of my son Aaron, we began to twist each roll tightly the entire length. 


This is what each "vine will look like once your done twisting.


  Then I grabbed my plastic plants.  I found the best ones in the Christmas clearance section at Walmart for 10 cents a plant! I cut the leaves off leaving the stems.
Then I got out my trusty hot glue gun and glued the leaves onto my vines making sure I had them all facing the same way and spaced the way a real vine might be.  This is my pile of 9 once I was done. 


I used a few to hang around the entrance and over our backyard play structure but my favorite area was behind the snack area.  I ran out of time but I almost wish I had made more.  They were so great I am saving them and hoping I can reuse them for a future party! 



5 comments:

  1. I have been searching for great directions on how to make the vines. Thanks so much for sharing your directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found them helpful Lynn! Happy Crafting! :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent post. Thank you for sharing these ideas. I needed something easy to do.

    ReplyDelete