Sunday, February 24, 2013

How to make a zebra striped number pinata



For Drew's Safari party, I had envisioned a giant number 2 pinata with some sort of animal print.  Well, they don't seem to make these so I decided I would.  After my friend made her daughters pinata for the tutu party last month, I figured it couldn't possibly be that hard.  Thankfully after the holidays, I was left with a ton of boxes to choose from to make the base.  I had my hubby draw a giant number 2 on one piece, cut it out and then trace it onto another.  Then he cut some long strips out and wrapped and taped it around the entire number to hold the two pieces together.
We initially used masking tape like all the tutorials I had seen suggested but it started to lift so I went over it with packing tape.  It was really sturdy! 



Before you finish taping down the second layer, push a pipe cleaner through the top of the number to create a loop for hanging.  We taped down the ends after twisting them to make sure it was secure.  Then finish sealing your frame.

Once the frame was all done, we cut long strips of green streamer to wrap around in rows.  We fringed the bottom of each row to give it some texture.  Do this part BEFORE gluing it down.  Speaking of glue...make sure you use sticks of glue and not the liquid kind.  That just makes a huge mess.  We learned this the hard way when we made the Lego one.


 Took awhile but finally the bottom layer of green was complete!  
Time to add our stripes.  This was a little tricky because I had to come up with a way to add them without looking weird.  We finally decided to cut them out of brown streamer and glue them straight onto the green frame.  The best part is zebra stripes aren't perfect so once we cut them all it, it didn't take much time at all to finish up the pinata!

 It came out even better than I could have imagined!  No one could believe we made it!  And it held up through a couple of rounds of the kids swinging at it!






No comments:

Post a Comment